Thursday, January 14, 2010

Trying to poison my family?

Since Jake and I have been married, I have asked him to tell me if he doesn't like something that I make for dinner. I would hate to slave over something (because I have) that I think he likes and have him not really like it. There have been a couple things over the years that he has really hated, and he has nicely asked me not to make EVER again! My personality is totally not offended by that, we have got more laughs out of it than anything! Well, this week I went above and beyond!!! I haven't been so good at getting dinner done, and at the last minute, I will throw something together. But on Tuesday, I was being good and got dinner made and cooked before I had to be to cheer. At lunch, I told Jake that dinner was cooked and in the fridge, all he had to do was warm it up. He ended up coming to get the girls from cheer for me, so that meant he was on daddy duty to get them fed. About an hour after he got home, he called me at cheer and our conversation went something like this:

J: What is that you made for dinner?
T: it is cream of chicken enchilada's, why?
J:Tiff, you should have seen your little two year old, she started to dry heave.
t:Why, what is wrong with it?
J: I am not trying to be rude or anything, but it sucks, where did you get the recipie?
T: We used to make them at college all the time. What is wrong with them?
J: Tiff, they are not good. All of us are sick, and couldn't get them down.
t: (ha ha ha) I am sorry, we used to make them all the time, I wonder why they taste so bad.
j: I wish I could have got it on video to see Teya trying so hard to gag it down so that she could have icecream after dinner, and then Tai got grossed out too!
t: (still giggling) Well sorry, I will see what they taste like when I get home.
j: please don't ever make those again!!!!

Well, when I got home, THEY WERE NOT GOOD!!! I even started to gag on them. I am not sure where I went wrong, but wow!!! Jake and I laughed about it all night. Right before we went to bed he said, "I have had some pretty disgusting things in my life, but that ranks in the top two, were you trying to poison us?!?" I started laughing so hard.

So I want to hear it, any story of yours, so I don't feel like the only bad cook around here!!!

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

Ha ha, this happens a lot at our house too!
If you want a really yummy fool proof enchilada recipe go here:
http://whatsreallyfordinner.blogspot.com

Sour Cream Enchilada's baby

The Hammond Family Blog said...

I totally agree with you on not making a meal that takes forever that they don't like. Funny story. I once made a zucchini casserole for dinner and then left to go to some church meeting. When I got home Jerimiah's portion was in the trash with some newly acquired taco bell wrappers. He told me he wasn't going to complain in front of me but as soon as I left, he went to Taco Bell. He now asks me to make the zucchini casserole every summer. I don't know if it is because he has acquired a taste for it or he is just mocking me. I make it and have a good laugh!!!

Marie Bindrup said...

I made a french toast casserole for Ryan's family (this was before we were married) I accidentally added double the maple syrup. It wasn't bad, the rest of my family ate it. But they all just nibbled and said they weren't hungry. They left to go skiing after breakfast and stopped at McDonalds. Ryan was laughing at his family, but I didn't find out that they didn't like it until YEARS later. They thought I was a bad cook for a long time. They didn't have the guts to say anything to me forever! IT is a big joke to this day.

wileywoman said...

I'm going to have my husband read this post. He's way too nice when I make something that tastes bad and won't usually tell me outright...I'll have to ask or he hint...Go Jake for giving your opinion so freely! I loved the visual of your girls trying to choke it down so they can have ice cream...that's our house every night at dinner time (the kids are just picky eaters...I"m not that bad of a cook...)

Misty said...

I really needed to hear that story. It made me laugh pretty hard. I can picture poor little Teya fighting it down so she can have an ice cream. Love it!

Tweeb and Danyette said...

Thats a hilarious story. I am dying laughing. When we were first married I tried to make homemade hashbrowns. Well they ended up burning but they were still not cooked, so they turned into a glutenous mess. Tweeb tried to choke them down but has never let me live it down!

Liz said...

Once when I was in college I drank some HORRIBLE mixture!!!! I was AWFUL!