Thursday, September 24, 2009

In the words of Suz...

I got on my friend Suz's blog this morning and my eyes watered so much from reading her take on what happened this last weekend at our first home BYU game. We have season tickets with some of our best friends Aaron & Suz Shaw and we ALWAYS have a good time, no matter the outcome of the game. So I stole her whole blog, she just put it all in the right words:

Cougar Post-Game Round-Up

So, if you haven't heard, BYU lost on Saturday to Florida State, at home. BYU not only was ranked #7, but had not lost at home since 2005, so needless to say, it was a huge disappointment.

Luckily, we have some great friends who know how to have a good time, no matter what.

We have made it our little "tradition" to have our tailgates AFTER the game because traffic is horrible getting out of Provo. We figure, better to sit and hang out in the parking lot and enjoy some food and fun while the traffice clears out, than sit in the traffic and get home about the same time.

Now, let me tell you a little bit about Jake....he is a real cowboy. Up until a few months ago, he lived on a ranch, worked on a ranch, and played on a ranch everyday. He herded cows up the mountain with horses every Spring on horseback, and about this time every year (probably in a week or two) he herds the cows back down the mountain to the ranch for the Winter. The heffers have babies, they auction of the good ones, and start all over again.

He still helps at the ranch, but now mostly sells cowboy gear. Seriously, the real stuff...boots, hats, shirts, buckles, saddles, the spiky things you wear on your heels to poke the horses (spurs?! And another piece I can't remember...) and all of that fun stuff! (Remember, I'm a California girl...the closest we got to horses were the Cleisdales at Sea World).

Anyway back to my point, Jake is the REAL deal. And don't worry, he was probably the only guy at the game wearing a cowboy hat and boots with his BYU shirt, and it was awesome. And to boot, (no pun intended) he had a LASSO in the truck.

So, naturally, we played the classic game of Cowboys and Heffers.

Now Aaron is from the country, and it is true that you can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy, so he was pretty excited. Jake showed him how to prep the lasso,


Then Aaron tried to round up Jake (unsuccessfully)


Then Jake showed us how it was done and called his "heffer" over (seriously, called his wife a heffer, which, as you can see, is totally off base, so he can get away with it.) Anyway, I wish I had my camera ready when he caught her, because not only did he get her, he got her around the ankles and she about went face first into the asphalt!! That would have been sad, but forunately, she only suffered a little rope burn around her arm, so we laughed hysterically for a long, long time. Here was after she got back on her feet, but before Jake helped her out




Thanks, guys, for all of the laughs! Jake, glad you didn't get a ticket...and, Tiff, I am so glad even with two kids a piece, we are still desirable to the old men at gas stations working the counter.

And, Cougars, let's rope up the Rams.

Max, please throw to the boys in blue. O'Neil, hold on to the ball. And Jan, do not touch the ball. Do what you do best and pound the Rams and the ball into the ground.

If you can all do those things, you will win the game, and we can all celebrate without Jake trying to tie up his wife in the parking lot.

I thought I better post a picture of the rope burn that I endured all in the name of "fun". I am just glad that I didn't recieve road rash all over, because I seriously thought that was my fate this time as the "heffer"!!!!! Thanks Aaron & Suz for all the laughs and good times, there is never a dull moment when we are together. And thank you mom and dad AKA "Nell" for watching the girls for us so we could go and have a blast!!!

You guys are the best- Thanks for being our friends, even though we are the biggest dorks ever!!!Had to hurry and throw this picture in. Our two guys love to watch the Cougars warm up. And I really think Jake was about the only person there in a cowboy hat!!!

2 comments:

Bree said...

Hey Tiff, I'm making my blog private, so if you'd like an invite my email is breenielsen@yahoo.com!

Jess said...

Too bad both of our teams lost that weekend! I can totally see you falling to the ground after Jake roped you up! Funny